On this day in history in ....
1897 - Dan McLeod defeats Martin Burns in Chicago, Illinois, to win the American Heavyweight Title.
1942 - Ed Virag defeats John Grandovich to win the NWA (not current NWA) World Heavyweight Title in Wichita, Kansas, beginning his second reign.
1959 - Don and Luke Fields defeat Don and Al Greene for the Mid-America version of the NWA World Tag Title in Birmingham, Alabama, beginning their second reign.
1960 - Al Hobman defeats John DaSilva for the vacant New Zealand Heavyweight Title in Wellington, New Zealand.
1962 - El Medico II defeats Art Thomas in Houston, Texas to win the NWA Texas Heavyweight Title.
1964 - Pepper Martin and Luther Lindsay win their second NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team Title, by defeating Pat Patterson and The Hangman.
1964 - Tony Borne defeats Killer Karl Kox for the NWA Texas Brass Knuckles Title in Fort Worth, Texas, ending Kox's second reign and beginning his own third.
1968 - Mitsu Arakawa and Dr. Moto (Tor Kamata) defeat Wilbur Snyder and Pat O'Connor for the WWA Tag Team Title in Elkhart, Indiana, beginning their second reign.
1971 - The Wrestling Pro defeats Ken Lucas for the NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title in Mobile, Alabama, ending Lucas' fourth reign and beginning his own third.
1973 - Enrique Vera defeats Angel Blanco in Mexico City, Mexico for the Mexican National Heavyweight Title.
1976 - Mr. Wrestling II defeats Dick Slater to win his sixth NWA Georgia Heavyweight Title in Columbus, Georgia.
1976 - The Executioners (Killer Kowalski & John Studd) were stripped of the WWWF World Tag Team title when they had a third member (Nikolai Volkoff) participate in a title defense against Chief Jay Strongbow & Billy White Wolf in Hamburg, Pennsylvania. Strongbow & White Wolf would go on to win the belts in a three team tournament with the Executioners and, ironically, Volkoff & Tor Kamata.
1979 - Chavo Guerrero, Sr. and Al Madril defeat Allen Coage and Victor Rivera for the NWA Americas Tag Team Title.
1979 - Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Ernie Ladd to win the Florida version of the NWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Lafayette, Louisiana.
1979 - Tommy Rich defeats Killer Karl Kox for the NWA Georgia Heavyweight Title in Atlanta, Georgia.
1980 - Dusty Rhodes defeats Bobby Jaggers for the Florida State Heavyweight Title in Ft. Lauderdale. This was the start of Rhodes' tenth, and final, reign with the belt.
1981 - Dutch Mantel defeats Dream Machine for the AWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Memphis, Tennessee.
1982 - Chief Jay & Jules Strongbow defeat Mr. Fuji & Mr. Saito for the WWF World Tag Team Title in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, ending Fuji & Saito's second reign, and starting the second reign for the Strongbows.
1982 - Harley Race defeats Giant Baba for the PWF Heavyweight Title in Obihiro, Japan, ending Baba's second reign.
1983 - The Junkyard Dog defeats Butch Reed for the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Title in Shreveport, Louisiana. This ended Reed's third reign and began JYD's fourth.
1986 - John Tatum and Jack Victory defeat The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers) to win the UWF Tag Team Title in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
1987 - Two title changes take place on an AWA card in Memphis, Tennessee. Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee win their second AWA World Tag Team Title, defeating Hector Guerrero and "Dr. D" David Schultz. Lawler & Dundee had lost the belts only a week earlier.. Also, The Midnight Rockers (Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels) defeat The RPM's (Mike Davis and Tommy Lane) for the AWA Southern Tag Team Title, ending the RPM's fifth reign.
1987 - Tom Prichard ends Tony Anthony's third NWA Alabama Heavyweight Title reign in Birmingham, Alabama.
1995 - Robby Royce defeats Vance Nevada for the Canadian Junior Heavyweight Title in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
1997 - WCW Halloween Havoc was held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here are the results:
- Yuji Nagata defeated Ultimo Dragon via submission with a Fujiwara armbar.
- Chris Jericho defeated Gedo via submission with a Liontamer.
- Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Eddie Guerrero to win the WCW Cruiserweight Title in a Mask vs. Title match when he reversed a powerbomb into a rana. To read a detailed report on this match, which many consider to be one of the best of the 90's, go to Page 2!
- Alex Wright defeated Steve McMichael when Bill Goldberg came in and laid out McMichael with a jackhammer, then threw Wright on top for the pin.
- Jacqueline defeated Disco Inferno with a cradle.
- United States Champion Curt Hennig defeated Ric Flair via disqualification when Flair hit Hennig with the title belt.
- Lex Luger defeated Scott Hall via submission with the Torture Rack. Larry Zbyszko was the special referee and was attacked by Syxx and Eric Bischoff at the end of the bout.
- Randy Savage defeated Diamond Dallas Page in a Death match when Hulk Hogan, in a Sting mask, hit Page with a bat.
- Rowdy Roddy Piper defeated WCW World Champion Hulk Hogan in a non-title steel cage match with a sleeper. After the match, Randy Savage and Hogan beat down Piper.
1998 - Diamond Dallas Page defeats Bret Hart for the WCW United States Heavyweight Title in Phoenix, Arizona, ending Hart's second run with the belt and beginning Page's own second reign.
1999 - Davey Boy Smith defeats D'Lo Brown for the WWF European Heavyweight Title in Springfield, Massachusetts, ending Brown's fourth reign with the belt, and starting Smith's second reign (he was the first European champion ever in 1997).
2001 - World Wrestling All-Stars "Inception" Pay-per-view was held at the Superdome in Sydney, Australia, drawing a crowd of 8,500 fans. It was aired live on Australian Pay-per-view, and was shown in the United States on PPV on January 6, 2002. The feature attraction of the show was a tournament to determine the first WWA heavyweight champion, in which each match had a different stipulation. Here are the results:
- WWA Title Tournament, Round One: Juventud Guerrera defeated Psicosis in a Ladder match to win the WWA Cruiserweight Title.
- WWA Title Tournament, Round One: Road Dogg defeated Konnan in a Dog Collar match.
- Norman Smiley defeated Devon Storm in a Hardcore match.
- WWA Title Tournament, Round One: Buff Bagwell won a battle royal.
- WWA Title Tournament, Round One: Jeff Jarrett defeated Nathan Jones in a Guitar On A Pole match.
- WWA Title Tournament, Round Two: Road Dogg defeated Lenny Lane and Lodi (subbing for Guerrera) in a Triangle match.
- WWA Title Tournament, Round Two: Jeff Jarrett defeated Buff Bagwell in a Whip Match.
- Vampire Warrior defeated Luna Vachon.
- Aldera James defeated Queen Bee, Violet Terriso, and Shawon Awad (male wrestler Danny Dominion) in a Strip match.
- WWA Title Tournament Final: Jeff Jarrett defeated Road Dogg in a steel cage to become the first World Wrestling All-Stars Heavyweight Champion.
2002 - WWE held their UK-only Pay-per-view, Rebellion, at the Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. Here are the results:
- In a dark match, Bill DeMott defeated Shannon Moore.
- Booker T defeated Matt Hardy.
- Billy Kidman & Torrie Wilson defeated John Cena & Dawn Marie when Kidman pinned Cena.
- Sho Funaki defeated Crash Holly.
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion Jamie Noble defeated Rey Mysterio and Yoshihiro Tajiri in an Elimination match. Noble eliminated Tajiri first, and Mysterio second.
- D-Von Dudley & Ron Simmons defeated Val Venis & Chuck Palumbo when Simmons pinned Palumbo.
- Rikishi defeated Albert.
- WWE World Tag Team Champions Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit defeated Eddie & Chavo Guerrero when Angle pinned Eddie.
- WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman defeated Edge in a handicap match (with the title on the line) when Lesnar pinned Edge.
2002 - The NWA 54th Anniversary Show was held in Corpus Christi, Texas. Here are the results:
- Jacey North defeated Brother Love.
- Ryan Pisiak defeated Damon Biggs in a Hair vs. Hair match.
- The East Coast Connection defeated Ricky Murdoch and Magnum.
- NWA Canadian Heavyweight Champion Spyder defeated Paul Tracy.
- NWA Jersey Champion Biggie Biggs defeated Preston Quinn.
- NWA New England Junior Heavyweight Champion Jason Rumble defeated NWA Tri-States Junior Heavyweight Champion Rocky Reynolds.
- NWA Texas Heavyweight Champion Steve DeMarco defeated JP Black in a Texas Death Match.
- NWA United Kingdom Heavyweight Champion Johnny Moss defeated Danny Garnell.
- Char Starr defeated Madison to win the NWA World Women's Title match.
- Jorge Estrada defeated Paul Atlas to win the NWA North American Title.
- Konnan defeated NWA Midwest Champion Danny Dominion in a non-title match.
- NWA World Tag Team Champions Chris Harris & James Storm defeated AJ Styles & Rocky Reynolds.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ron Killings defeated NWA National Champion Hotstuff Hernandez. Only Killings' belt was on the line.
2002 - CM Punk defeats MDogg20 to win his third IWA Mid-South Heavyweight Title in Clarksville, Indiana.
Thanks to Ryan Martinez for his help with the above.