World Wrestling Council (WWC-PR) held their weekly house show last Saturday night in Bayamon, PR. Here are some of the results from the show:
- "El Leon" Apollo became the number one contender for WWC's Puerto Rico Heavyweight title after defeating Andy Levine, Sebastian Guerra and Sandman in a "Fatal Four Way" match.
- Samson Walker defeated WWC's PR Heavyweight champion "El Ilegal-Chicano" in a non-title match.
- Thunder & Lightning retained their WWC World Tag Team titles after defeating Sons of Samoa. After the match T&L went at it with SOS, busted them open and left them laying in the ring.
- The WWC Universal title match between Savio Vega and Rey Gonzalez ended up in a no-contest, as a new masked "Fenix" interfered in the match, leaving Gonzalez wandering who it might be under the mask. Gonzalez used to be the original "Rey Fenix", but during the first event of the year (Euphoria) he unmasked and told everyone that it would be the last time that he would use the mask to wrestle. Confusion loomed at the end of the angle as Savio Vega and the new "Fenix" stood outside looking at each other for a minute, only to shake hands and go back to the locker room together.
During their TV last weekend they had announced that "The Precious One" Gilbert had been released and was no longer with the company. However, there is a lot of speculation about the reasons why he was let go, IF the release was legit. The new "Fenix" sure looked very familiar to a lot of people when he appeared during Saturday night's house show. We'll see...
Also on their TV show, they played vignettes of Carlos Colon Sr. training for his upcoming match against Savio Vega. Invader #1 was helping Colon Sr during his training sessions. The "highly anticipated" match will actually take place on their next weekly house show this Saturday night in Catano, PR. As you may recall, the stipulation of this match is that if Colon Sr. loses the match, Victor Jovica and him will be obligated to sell the company to Colon's son, Carlito. Carlito sent a message to the entire locker room, stating that when becomes the new owner of the company their will be a policy established that will prevent anyone over the age of 40 to be able to wrestle for them. Interesting statement if you take into consideration the fact that his closest ally, Savio Vega, is his mid 40's. I don't know if this could be part of the next stage of the storyline, but if it's not... makes you scratch your head.
This Saturday's house show is being promoted as "One of those nights that don't need a name..." Matches announced as of today for said house show are:
- WWC Universal Heavyweight title match: Rey Gonzalez (c) vs Carlito Colon.
- Stipulation Match - If Colon Sr loses, Carlito will take over as the new owner of WWC - Carlos Colon Sr. vs Savio Vega
- WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight - Three-way title match - "El Ilegal-Chicano" (c) vs "El Leon" Apollo vs Samson Walker
- WWC World Tag Team title match - "Samoan Style Death Match" - Sons of Samoa vs Thunder & Lightning (c) w/ Barrabas
Still, no official date has been announced regarding their next big event "La Hora de la Verdad" (Moment of Truth), which usually takes place this time of the year.
We have learned of the untimely passing of one of "El Leon" Apollo's sisters. No official cause of death has been reported. The PWInsider team would like to extend its condolences to Apollo and the entire Figueroa family.
In other news, World Wrestling League (WWL) announced this week, via press release, that they have locked in a deal with local TV station "Tele Isla", which is an affiliate of Univision Puerto Rico. Their weekly TV show is scheduled to begin this Saturday February 9th at 2:00 PM. The following is a line-up of how to find the station depending on which cable or satellite system you have in Puerto Rico:
TeleIsla – local channel 7, Dish Network channel 12, OneLink channel 7 & 807 (HD), Liberty channel 7, and with a digital decoder on channel 7.1 island wide
It is expected that this new program will work towards building up the characters and storylines that will lead to the different matches that will take place on their first scheduled live event in late March.