On this day in history in ....
1962 - Jan Madrid defeats Don Fields in a tournament for the NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title in Pensacola, Florida. The title had been vacated almost a year earlier, when champion Chief Little Eagle had left the territory. Ironically, Madrid would also vacate the title in February of 1963.
1975 - Antonio Inoki & Seji Sakaguchi defeat Jerry Brown & Buddy Roberts for the NWF North American Tag Team Title in Osaka, Japan, starting their second reign as champions.
1976 - Jerry & Ted Oates defeat The Great Kojika & Motoshi Okuma for the All Japan All Asian Tag Team Title in Tokyo, Japan.
1979 - Ryuma Go defeats Tatsumi Fujinami in Osaka, Japan for the WWF World Junior Heavyweight Title.
1981 - Jack Brisco defeats Ted DiBiase for the Missouri Title in St. Louis, ending DiBiase's second reign with the belt, and starting his own second run with the title.
1985 - NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. AWA World Champion Rick Martel in a title vs. title match on an All Japan card in Tokyo ends in a double countout.
1989 - Tony Anthony wins a tournament in Memphis, Tennessee to become the first USWA Southern Heavyweight Champion. Here are the results of the tournament:
- Chris Champion defeated Freddy Krueger (Tommy Gilbert)
- Dustin Rhodes defeated Kevin Dillenger.
- Mike Davis defeated Stan Frazier.
- Robert Gibson defeated Mark Starr.
- Dutch Mantell defeated Buddy Landell.
- Tony Anthony defeated Jeff Jarrett.
- Ricky Morton defeated Iceman King Parsons.
- Bill Dundee defeated Brickhouse Brown.
- Dustin Rhodes defeated Chris Champion.
- Mike Davis defeated Robert Gibson.
- Tony Anthony defeated Dutch Mantel.
- Ricky Morton defeated Bill Dundee.
- Dustin Rhodes defeated Mike Davis.
- Tony Anthony defeated Ricky Morton.
- Tony Anthony defeated Dustin Rhodes.
1990 - Kyoko Inoue defeats Takako Inoue for the vacant All Japan Singles Title in Yamagata, Japan.
1993 - ECW holds the "NWA Bloodfest: Part 2" at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Here are the results:
- ECW World Tag Team Champions Tony Stetson & Johnny Hot Body defeated The Sandman & JT Smith.
- The Tazmaniac defeated Tommy Dreamer.
- Kevin Sullivan defeated Gino Caruso.
- ECW Champion Shane Douglas defeated JT Smith via disqualification.
- Badd Company (Paul Diamond & Pat Tanaka) defeated The Public Enemy.
- Richard Michaels defeated Rockin' Rebel via disqualification.
- Ian & Axl Rotten defeated Donn E. Allen & Chad Austin.
- Don Muraco & Jimmy Snuka defeated The Public Enemy.
- Sabu defeated Shane Douglas to win the ECW Heavyweight Title.
- Jimmy Snuka defeated Chad Austin.
- Kevin Sullivan defeated Abdullah The Butcher in a steel cage match.
- The Public Enemy defeated Ian & Axl Rotten and Badd Company in a three way steel cage match.
1995 - The Monday Night Wars raged on, with both WCW Monday Nitro on TNT and WWF Monday Night Raw on USA earning 2.5 ratings. Raw featured Razor Ramon defeating The 1-2-3 Kid, Triple H defeated Barry Horowitz, PG-13 defeating Al Brown & Sonny Rogers, and a main event of Bret Hart defeating Jean Pierre Lafitte. Nitro had Lex Luger defeating Randy Savage, Eddie Guerrero over Dean Malenko, The American Males vs. The Nasty Boys in a no-contest when the Giant interfered and laid out everyone, and Ric Flair defeating Arn Anderson in the main event via disqualification.
1999 - Psicosis begins his second WCW Cruiserweight Title reign in bizarre fashion. Because WCW was feeling pressure from Turner management over controversy and media attention brought forth by Lenny Lane's ambiguously gay character, the decision was made to pull Lane from television immediately. Since Lane was the Cruiserweight Champion at the time, the decision was made to create a "phantom" title change and put the belt on Psicosis.
1999 - WWF hold's their UK-Only "Rebellion" Pay-per-view at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England. Here are the results:
- Christian defeated Crash Holly in a dark match.
- Intercontinental Champion Jeff Jarrett defeated D'Lo Brown.
- The Godfather defeated Gangrel.
- Val Venis defeated Mark Henry.
- Women's Champion Ivory defeated Tori, Jacqueline, and Luna Vachon in a Four Corners match.
- Chris Jericho defeated The Road Dogg.
- Chyna defeated Intercontinental Champion Jeff Jarrett via disqualification.
- Kane defeated The Big Show in a No DQ match.
- Davey Boy Smith defeated X-Pac.
- Edge & Christian defeated The Acolytes and Hardcore & Crash Holly in a Triangle match.
- World Heavyweight Champion Triple H defeated The Rock in a steel cage match.
1999 - The Honky Tonk Man defeats Bob Starr for the MEWF Heavyweight Title in Dundalk, Maryland.
1999 - The NWA held the 4th Annual Eddie Gilbert Memorial Brawl in Vineland, New Jersey, headlined by Tommy Gilbert & John Kronus defeating The Public Enemy. George "The Animal" Steele made a rare in-ring appearance on the show, defeating Jack Hammer.
1999 - Naoya Ogawa defeats Gary Steele for the NWA World Heavyweight Title in Thomaston, Connecticut, starting his second title reign.
1999 - Glen Kulka & Mic Tierney are awarded the Memphis Power Pro Wrestling Tag Team Titles in a "Phantom" title change with Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee. Dundee had left the company, and in fact, Lawler had won the belts in a handicap match without him, so Dundee was recognized as a champion without being involved in the title win or loss.
2000 - Booker T becomes a three-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion in San Francisco, California by defeating Jeff Jarrett. The title had been vacated by Vince Russo after winning it from Booker T in a steel cage match the previous week. On the same show, Reno defeats Sgt. AWOL to win the vacant WCW Hardcore Title. Commissioner Mike Sanders had stripped Norman Smiley of it previously.
2002 - NWA:TNA holds their weekly Pay-per-view at the TNA Asylum in Nashville, Tennessee. Here are the results:
- Amazing Red defeats Shark Boy.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ron Killings defeats Low Ki.
- The SAT defeat The Flying Elvises (Jorge Estrada & Jimmy Yang).
- Sonny Siaki defeats David Young.
- NWA World Tag Team Champions Chris Harris & James Storm defeat Ron Harris & Ashley Hudson.
- X Division Champion Jerry Lynn defeated AJ Styles in a Ladder match.
- BG James & Syxx-Pac defeated Jeff Jarrett & Brian Lawler.