On this day in history in ....
1977 - Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell defeat Blackjack Lanza & Bobby Duncum for the AWA World Tag Team Title in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
1990 - WCW held their Great American Bash
Pay-per-view at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Maryland. Here are the
- In a dark match, David Sierra defeated Mr. X.
- Doug Furnas defeated Dutch Mantel.
- Mike Rotunda defeated The Iron Sheik.
- Brian Pillman defeated Buddy Landell.
- NWA World Tag Team Champions Doom defeated The Rock N' Roll Express when Butch Reed pinned Gibson with a second rope shoulderblock.
- Paul Orndorff, Junkyard Dog & El Gigante defeated Sid Vicious, Arn Anderson & Barry Windham via DQ when Vicious threw JYD over the top rope.
- Harley Race defeated Tommy Rich.
- Big Van Vader, in his WCW debut, defeated Tom Zenk in two minutes with a big splash.
- Rick & Scott Steiner defeated The Freebirds (Jimmy Garvin & Michael Hayes).
- U.S. Tag Team Champions The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane) defeated Tracey Smothers & Steve Armstrong when Lane superkicked Smothers from the apron and Eaton rolled him up for the pin.
- U.S. Champion Lex Luger defeated Mark Callous (who would later become the Undertaker) with a clothesline.
- Sting defeated Ric Flair to win the NWA World Heavyweight Title. Junkyard Dog, Paul Orndorff and the Steiners were at ringside to prevent interference, and Ole Anderson was handcuffed to El Gigante. At the end of the match, Sting missed a Stinger Splash and Flair went for the figure four, but Sting cradled him into a small package for the win.
1996 - WCW Bash at the Beach was held in
Daytona Beach, Florida at the Ocean Center. Here are the results:
In matches shown on TBS' The Main Event:
- Jim Powers defeated Hugh Morrus.
- Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat via DQ.
- Bobby Walker defeated Billy Kidman.
- The Rock N' Roll Express defeated Scott Norton & Ice Train.
- Eddie Guerrero defeated Steven Regal.
In matches shown on the Pay-per-view:
- Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Psicosis by reversing a Splash Mountain attempt into a rana.
- John Tenta defeated Big Bubba Rogers in a Carson City Silver Dollar match after hitting Rogers with a sock filled with silver dollars.
- Diamond Dallas Page defeated Hacksaw Duggan in a Taped Fist match with a Diamond Cutter.
- The Nasty Boys defeated The Public Enemy in a Double Dog Collar Chain match when Sags pinned Rocco Rock after a double clothesline with the chain.
- WCW Cruiserweight Champion Dean Malenko defeated Disco Inferno with the Texas Cloverleaf.
- Steve McMichael defeated Joe Gomez with a tombstone piledriver.
- Ric Flair defeated Konnan to win the U.S. Title with his feet on the ropes for leverage after Woman had hit Konnan with her shoe.
- The Giant & Kevin Sullivan defeated Arn Anderson & Chris Benoit when Giant pinned Anderson with a chokeslam.
- Kevin Nash, Scott Hall & their mystery partner vs. Randy Savage, Sting & Lex Luger went to a no contest. The Outsiders had promised a third member, but it wasn't until the end of the match, when Hulk Hogan came out and legdropped Randy Savage, that it was revealed. Hogan, Hall and Nash continued to beat down Savage and Sting (Luger had been stretchered out early in the bout). Mean Gene Okerlund then interviewed Hogan, Hall and Nash, as the fans threw garbage into the ring. Hogan declared that he was the third Outsider, and the NWO (New World Order) was formed.
2003 - Booker T defeats Christian for the WWE Intercontinental title in Montreal, Quebec, ending Christian's second run with the title.
If you enjoy PWInsider.com you can check out the AD-FREE PWInsider Elite section, which features exclusive audio updates, news, our critically acclaimed podcasts, interviews and more, right now for THREE DAYS free by clicking here!