On this day in history on ....
1931 - Ed "Strangler" Lewis defeats Ed Don George in Los Angeles,
California to capture his fourth World Heavyweight Title.
1959 - Ben and and Mike Sharpe defeat Chief Big Heart and Little Eagle to win the NWA Texas Tag Team Title in Dallas, Texas.
1967 - Jeff Jarrett is born in Nashville, Tennessee.
1971 - Terry Funk defeats The Grappler (Johnny Walker) for the Florida NWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Miami, Florida.
1973 - After 20 years in operation, the Japan Pro Wrestling Alliance closes. The JWA's top stars, Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki, had left and formed their own promotions. Baba founded All Japan Pro Wrestling, and Inoki founded New Japan Pro Wrestling.
1975 - The WWWF held an event at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York, which was televised on HBO. The results:
- Mike Paidousis pinned Tony Altimore after Altimore missed a kick off the ropes.
- Greg Valentine pinned El OlÃmpico after an elbow drop. The Garden didn't allow wrestlers to be fully masked at that time, so OlÃmpico wore a faceless mask.
- Waldo Von Erich defeated Chief Jay Strongbow by countout after Strongbow was attacked from behind and thrown out of the ring.
- Lord Littlebrook and Little Tokyo defeated World Midget Tag Team Champions Sonny Boy Hayes and Little Louie in a best-of-three falls match. Tokyo pinned Hayes after a kick and a handful of tights, Hayes pinned Littlebrook after Tokyo hit Littlebrook by accident, and Littlebrook pinned Louie after a shoulderblock.
- WWWF World Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino (with Arnold Skaaland) defeated Spiros Arion (with Fred Blassie) in a Greek Death (submission only) match with a half-crab to retain the title.
- Ã‰douard Carpentier pinned Joe Nova after three senton splashes.
- WWWF World Tag Team Champions The Valiant Brothers (Jimmy and Johnny) defeated Pete Sanchez and Manuel Soto.
- Bobby Duncum (with The Grand Wizard) and Victor Rivera fought to a draw, due to the 11:00pm curfew.
1976 - Angelo Mosca defeats Tim Woods in the finals of a two-month-long tournament to win the NWA Mid-Atlantic Television Title in -
1976 - Championship Wrestling from Florida held an event at the Miami Beach Convention Hall in Miami Beach, Florida. The results were:
- Jeff Ports defeated Abe Jacobs.
- Hiro Matsuda defeated Mr. Hayashi.
- Darling Dagmar defeated Marie LeBeaux.
- Bob Orton, Sr. defeated Bill Dromo.
- Eddie Graham defeated Ali Pasha.
- NWA Florida Tag Team Champion Bob Orton, Jr. defeated Steve Keirn by disqualification.
- NWA Florida Southern Heavyweight Champion The Assassin and The Missouri Mauler defeated Mike Graham and Billy Robinson.
- Dusty Rhodes defeated NWA Florida Heavyweight Champion Pak Song by disqualification. Song retained the title.
1980 - Bulldog Brower and Luke Graham are awarded the WWC North American Tag Team Title after Gorgeous George, Jr. and Luke Graham left the promotion.
1982 - Championship Wrestling from Florida held an event at the Miami Beach Convention Hall in Miami Beach, Florida. The results:
- Jim Garvin defeated Bob Russell.
- Derek Draper and El Gran Apolo fought to a draw.
- NWA Florida Southern Heavyweight Champion David Von Erich defeated Bob Russell.
- Terry Allen and Eric Embry defeated King James Dillon and Hiro Matsuda, when Allen pinned Dillon.
- Lone Eagle defeated Little Tokyo.
- Kendo Nagasaki defeated Brian Blair in a Texas Death match. King James Dillon was in a steel cage above the ring during the match.
- Sweet Brown Sugar defeated NWA Florida Southern Heavyweight Champion David Von Erich by disqualification. Von Erich retained the title.
- Hacksaw Reed defeated CiclÃ³n Negro in a brass knuckles bounty match.
1984 - The WWF held an event at the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The results were:
- Salvatore Bellomo defeated Charlie Fulton.
- Ivan Putski defeated RenÃ© Goulet.
- Greg Valentine defeated Brian Blair.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Tito Santana defeated Tiger Chung Lee.
- Roddy Piper and David Schultz defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Tony Atlas and Rocky Johnson by disqualification.
- Bob Backlund and Paul Orndorff fought to a double disqualification.
- The Iron Sheik defeated Sgt. Slaughter by disqualification.
1985 - Ray Steele defeats Tony St. Clair for the British Heavyweight Title, ending St. Clair's second reign.
1985 - Lola Gonzales wins her third UWA World Women's Title from Jaguar Yokota in Mexico City, Mexico.
1989 - Jerry Lawler defeats Kerry Von Erich to win the WCWA World Heavyweight Title, a rematch from their match on April 5. Lawler unified the WCWA title with his AWA title to become the Unified World Heavyweight Champion, which would become the top title in the USWA.
1993 - WCW held its first-ever event in New York City, New York, at the Paramount Theatre at Madison Square Garden. The results were:
- Johnny B. Badd defeated Tex Slazenger.
- Maxx Payne defeated Steven Regal.
- Chris Benoit and Ron Simmons fought to a double-countout.
- Van Hammer defeated Vinnie Vegas.
- NWA and WCW World Tag Team Champions The Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin and Brian Pillman) defeated Marcus Alexander Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio to retain the titles.
- Rick Rude defeated Cactus Jack.
- WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes defeated WCW World Television Champion Paul Orndorff by disqualification to retain his title. Orndorff's title was not on the line.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Barry Windham defeated Ricky Steamboat to retain the title.
- Sting defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader by disqualification. Vader retained the title.
1994 - Villanos IV and V defeat Emilio Charles, Jr. and Scorpio, Jr. for the UWA World Tag Team Title in Acapulco, Mexico, beginning their third reign.
1996 - Rayo de Jalisco, Jr. defeats Apolo DantÃ©s to win the CMLL World Heavyweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico.
1997 - The Monday Night War continued, with WCW Monday Nitro winning the week over WWF RAW is WAR, 3.5 to 2.2 in the ratings.
WWF RAW is WAR was partially taped after the live April 7 edition of the show at John C. Worthen Arena in Fort Wayne, Indiana, with the remainder taped on April 9 in Johannesburg, South Africa. The results:
Taped in Fort Wayne:
- The Godwinns (Henry and Phineas) defeated The Legion of Doom (Animal and Hawk).
- Mankind and Vader defeated The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher) by disqualification.
Taped in Johnannesburg:
- Hunter Hearst Helmsley (with Chyna) defeated Jesse James.
- Savio Vega (with Crush) defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion Rocky Maivia.
- Goldust defeated The Sultan (with The Iron Sheik) by disqualification.
- Ahmed Johnson defeated Crush.
WCW Monday Nitro was live from the CoreStates Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This was WCW's first-ever event at the Spectrum, once a long standing WWF territory, before the CoreStates Center (now Wachovia Center) opened in 1996. The results were:
- Ice Train and Joe Gomez defeated Extreme.
- Madusa defeated Luna Vachon by disqualification.
- Chris Benoit defeated The Barbarian.
- WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dean Malenko defeated Hector Guerrero by submission to retain the title.
- Rey Misterio, Jr. defeated Juventud Guerrera.
- WCW World Television Champion Ultimo Dragon (with Sonny Onoo) defeated Lane Carlson (Lenny Lane) to retain the title.
- WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx defeated Prince Iaukea by submission to retain the title.
- Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock) defeated High Voltage (Kaos and Rage) in a street fight, when Rock pinned Kaos.
- The Giant defeated Big Al (911).
- Diamond Dallas Page (with Kimberly) defeated Konnan.
- Jeff Jarrett and Steve McMichael (with Debra) defeated Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray (with Sister Sherri)) by disqualification.
- Lex Luger defeated WCW World Tag Team Champion Kevin Nash (with the nWo) by disqualification.
2000 - The Ultimate Fighting Championship held UFC 25: Ultimate Japan 3 at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan. The results were:
- Laverne Clark defeated Koji Oishi by majority decision in a lightweight bout.
- Ikuhisa Minowa defeated Joe Slick by TKO (cut) at 1:54 of round three in a middleweight bout.
- Sanae Kikuta defeated Eugene Jackson by submission (armbar) at 4:39 of round one in a middleweight bout.
- Murilo Bustamante defeated Yoji Anjo by submission (arm triangle choke) at 0:31 of the round two in a middleweight bout.
- Ron Waterman defeated Satoshi Honma by unanimous decision after three rounds in a heavyweight bout.
- Tito Ortiz defeated Wanderlei Silva by unanimous decision after five rounds to win the UFC Middleweight Title, which had been vacated by Frank Shamrock in November 1999 due to his short-lived retirement.
2000 - Big Bully Douglas and Air Paris defeat The New South (Ashley Hudson and Kory Williams) for the NWA North American Tag Team Title in Hopkinsville, Kentucky.
2000 - Kevin Northcutt defeats Don Brodie to win the NWA National Heavyweight Title in North Richland Hills, Texas. At the same event, Abdullah the Butcher defeats Necro Butcher for the NWA Texas Hardcore Title, beginning Abdullah's second reign and ending Necro's second reign.
2000 - Chad Bowman defeats Qeenan Creed and champion Adam Flash in a three-way match for the Maryland Championship Wrestling Cruiserweight Title in Annapolis, Maryland, ending Flash's third reign.
2000 - Samu defeats Ace Darling in Belvidere, New Jersey to win the Independent Superstars of Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Title, ending Darling's third reign and beginning Samu's second. At the same event, Billy Reil wins the ISPW Light Heavyweight Title from Judas Young, beginning Reil's second reign and ending Young's second.
2001 - The Golden Boy defeats Dustin Starr for the NWA Southern Junior Heavyweight Title in Dyersburg, Tennessee, ending Starr's second reign.
2001 - Tony Jones and Robert Thompson defeat The Ballard Brothers (Shane and Shannon) to win the All Pro Wrestling Tag Team Title in Vallejo, California. The title was vacated in March when Boyce LeGrand and Robert Thompson had left the promotion.
2002 - The WWF Hardcore Title changes hands four times at a house show in Abilene, Texas. William Regal won the title from Bubba Ray Dudley, ending Bubba Ray's fifth reign and beginning Regal's sixth. Spike Dudley began his fifth reign as Hardcore Champion by defeating Regal. Spike then lost the title to Goldust, his seventh title win. Bubba Ray Dudley left with the title though, beating Goldust, and beginning his seventh reign. This was the fifth straight house show that this same sequence of title changes occurred.
2002 - Rey Cuervo defeats Oriental to win the UWA World Welterweight Title in Tualcingo, Mexico
2002 - Bombero Infernal defeats Pantera for the IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Title in Naucalpan, Mexico, beginning Infernal's fourth reign and ending Pantera's second.
2003 - WWE held a live RAW and taped the April 20 Sunday Night Heat at the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia. RAW got a 3.5 rating. The results were:
- The Navajo Warrior defeated Dean Baldwin.
- Joey Matthews and Christian York defeated Phil Brown and Pat Cusick.
- Jacqueline defeated Molly Holly.
- 3-Minute Warning (Jamal and Rosey (with Rico)) defeated Maven and Al Snow.
- Rodney Mack (with Theodore Long) defeated Mike Hunter.
- Rico defeated Spike Dudley.
- Chris Jericho defeated Test (with Stacy Keibler).
- Jazz (with Theodore Long) and Victoria (with Steven Richards) defeated Ivory and WWE Women's Champion Trish Stratus.
- World Tag Team Champions Kane and Rob Van Dam defeated Chief Morley and Lance Storm in a no-disqualification match.
- Goldust defeated Christian by disqualification.
- Booker T and the Hurricane defeated Ric Flair and World Heavyweight Champion Triple H. With the win, Booker earned a rematch from WrestleMania XIX against Triple H World Heavyweight Title next week.
2004 - TNA held its 93rd weekly pay-per-view event at the TNA Asylum in Nashville, Tennessee. The results were:
- The 3Live Kru (B.G. James, Ron Killings and Konnan) defeated Ryan Boz, Scotty Matthews and Chance Prophet, when Killings pinned Prophet.
- Christopher Daniels pinned Gabriel.
- Jerry Lynn and Elix Skipper defeated Chris Hero and Nate Webb.
- The Amazing Red pinned Seth Delay.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett pinned James Storm.
- TNA X Division Champion Frankie Kazarian pinned Sonjay Dutt to retain the title.
- Simon Diamond pinned Johnny Swinger.
- Monty Brown pinned Sabu in a falls count anywhere match.
- Apolo and D'Lo Brown defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions Kid Kash and Dallas by disqualification to win the title.
- Chris Harris pinned Raven to become #1 contender for the NWA World Heavyweight Title.
2005 - Ikuto Hidaka defeats Super Crazy for the ZERO1-MAX International Junior Heavyweight Title in Tokyo, Japan.
2007 - ROH held "Fighting Spirit" at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, New Jersey. The results were:
- Jason Blade and Eddie Edwards defeated Chris Hero and Tank Toland.
- Pelle Primeau defeated ROH Top of the Class Trophy holder Shane Hagadorn to win the trophy.
- Rocky Romero defeated Claudio Castagnoli.
- ROH World Tag Team Champions El Generico and Kevin Steen defeated FIP Tag Team Champion Jay Briscoe and FIP Florida Heritage Champion Erick Stevens.
- Doug Williams defeated Colt Cabana.
- Sara Del Ray defeated Ernie Osiris.
- Shingo defeated Matt Cross.
- The No Remorse Corps (Davey Richards and FIP World Heavyweight Champion Roderick Strong) defeated Delirious and Jack Evans.
- ROH World Champion Takeshi Morishima defeated Nigel McGuinness to retain the title.
2007 - Dennis Condrey defeats Brad Armstrong in Graysville, Alabama to become the first NWA Wrestle Birmingham Television Champion.
2007 - Two titles change hands at an NWA Universal event in Wagoner, Oklahoma. Slam Shady wins a Sooner Stampede battle royal to win the NWA Universal Heavyweight Title, which was vacated when John O'Malley left the promotion. Also, Justin Lee wins his second NWA Universal X Division Title from Shane Morbid.
2007 - Jeff Orcut defeats Kid Cade for the Ultra Championship Wrestling Zero Ultra-X Title in Salt Lake City, Utah.
2007 - Brandon Thomaselli defeats Josh Abercrombie in Shelbyville, Indiana to win the IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Title, ending Abercrombie's second reign.
2007 - Cody Whitehead defeats Brandon Stone for the NWA Mid-America X Division Title in Columbia, Tennessee. At the same show, Lee Condry defeats Johnny Swinger to win the NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title, beginning his second reign.
2007 - Zach Gowen and Krotch defeat Truth Martini and N8 Mattson in Berwyn, Illinois to win the All-American Wrestling Tag Team Title.