On this day in history in ....
1927 - Bert Willard defeats Jack Reynolds for the World Welterweight Title in Columbus, Ohio, ending Reynolds' third reign.
1945 - Georgia Championship Wrestling held an event at the Municipal Auditorium in Atlanta, Georgia. The results:
- Dan O'Connor and Rudy Strongberg fought to a draw.
- Dick Lever and Dick Shikat fought to a draw.
- Al Massey defeated Jack Dillon.
- National Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Champion Bill Longson defeated Barto Hill to retain the title.
1951 - Duke Keomuka defeats Ray Gunkel in Houston, Texas for the NWA Texas Heavyweight Title.
1953 - Baron Michele Leone defeats Danny McShain in Memphis, Tennessee to win the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Title.
1955 - Yvon Rob√©rt defeats Don Leo Jonathan in Montreal, Quebec for the Montreal Athletic Commission World Heavyweight Title, beginning his 15th reign.
1956 - Don and Red McIntyre defeat Eddie Gossett (Eddie Graham) and Art Neilson to win the Georgia NWA World Tag Team Title in Atlanta, Georgia.
1956 - Gene Kelly (Kiniski) defeats Pepper Gomez to win the NWA Texas Heavyweight Title in Houston, Texas, ending Gomez's third reign.
1960 - Verne Gagne and Joe Scarpello defeat Killer Kowalski and Tiny Mills for the AWA World Tag Team Title in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
1962 - Buddy Landel is born in Knoxville, Tennessee.
1962 - The Alaskan (Jay York) and Tarzan Tyler defeat Jerry and Nick Kozak in Houston, Texas to win the Texas NWA World Tag Team Title.
1968 - Dr. X (Dick Beyer) defeats Verne Gagne for the AWA World Heavyweight Title in Bloomington, Minnesota, ending Gagne's eighth reign.
1968 - The WWWF held an event at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York. The results were:
- Irish Jackie and The Jamaica Kid defeated Little Brutus and Sky Low Low.
- Arnold Skaaland defeated Frank Hickey.
- Argentina Apollo defeated Bull Ramos.
- Earl Maynard and Dick Steinborn fought to a draw.
- Bobo Brazil defeated Virgil the Kentucky Butcher.
- WWWF World Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino and Victor Rivera defeated Gorilla Monsoon and Prof. Toru Tanaka.
1968 - The Mighty Yankees (Frank Morrell and Eddie Sullivan) defeat Dennis Hall and Ken Lucas in Chattanooga, Tennessee to win their third Mid-America NWA World Tag Team Title.
1971 - Georgia Championship Wrestling held an event at the Coliseum in Macon, Georgia. The results were:
- Salvadore Lothario defeated Krusher Karlson.
- Guillotine Gordon defeated Ken Russell.
- Flash and Rocket Monroe defeated Derrell Cochran and George Scott.
- Bill Dromo defeated NWA Georgia Heavyweight Champion Buddy Colt by disqualification.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Dory Funk, Jr. fought NWA Macon Tag Team Champion Bob Armstrong to a 60-minute time-limit draw to retain the title.
1973 - Dick Dunn defeats Eddie Sullivan in Dothan, Alabama to win his second NWA Alabama Heavyweight Title.
1978 - Steve Rickard defeats Toru Tanaka for the New Zealand NWA British Commonwealth Heavyweight Title in Auckland, New Zealand. This began and ended both men's second reigns.
1979 - Georgia Championship Wrestling held an event at The Omni in Atlanta, Georgia. The results:
- Tony Atlas won a 16-man battle royal to earn an NWA World Heavyweight Title match in the main event. Other participants were: Bob Armstrong, Jerry Blackwell, Jonathan Boyd, Jerry Brisco, Haystacks Calhoun, NWA Georgia Television Champion Ray Candy, Carl Fergie, Bill Howard, Austin Idol, Killer Karl Kox (with Bobby Heenan), Ernie Ladd, Tommy Rich, Doug Somers, Jerry Stubbs and Mr. Wrestling.
- Ole Anderson and Ivan Koloff defeated Dusty Rhodes and Bill Watts in a Double Bunkhouse match.
- Wahoo McDaniel defeated NWA Georgia Heavyweight Champion The Masked Superstar (with Bobby Heenan) in a Blindfold match to win the title. However, after the match, the blindfolds were removed, it was revealed that Tommy Rich had beaten Superstar for McDaniel, and the title was vacated. This ended the Masked Superstar's second reign.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race defeated Tony Atlas to retain the title.
1982 - Cheerleader Melissa is born in Los Angeles, California.
1985 - The WWF held an event at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. The results:
- Johnny V pinned Steve Lombardi after an elbow drop.
- Cousin Junior (with Hillbilly Jim) pinned Moondog Spot after a mule kick.
- Adrian Adonis pinned Tony Garea after a DDT.
- Terry Funk defeated Salvatore Bellomo by submission with a sleeper.
- The Junkyard Dog and Ricky Steamboat defeated Mr. Fuji and Don Muraco, when Steamboat pinned Fuji with a sunset flip.
- The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) defeated Swede Hanson and Lanny Poffo, when Hart pinned Hansen after Neidhart clotheslined him from behind.
- Randy Savage pinned Rick McGraw after a flying elbowdrop.
- WWF Champion Hulk Hogan pinned Brutus Beefcake (with Johnny V) with a roll-up, after Beefcake ran into Johnny V on the ring apron, to retain the title.
1985 - Eric Embry defeats Super Medico I for the WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Title in Bayam√≥n, Puerto Rico, ending Medico's second reign.
1986 - Nikita Koloff defeats Magnum T.A. in the seventh match of a best-of-seven series in Charlotte, North Carolina to claim the vacant NWA United States Heavyweight Title.
1987 - Nikita Koloff defeats Tully Blanchard to win the NWA World Television Title in Fayetteville, North Carolina, ending Blanchard's second reign.
1987 - George Barnes defeats Bill Dundee for the CWA International Heavyweight Title in Memphis, Tennessee, ending Dundee's second reign.
1990 - The Thundercats (Leono, Panthro and Tigro) defeat Los Arqueros del Espacio (El Arquero, Danny Boy and Lasser) in Mexico City, Mexico to win the Mexican National Trios Title.
1991 - Billy Jack Haynes defeats Steve Doll in a full-nelson challenge in Portland, Oregon for the vacant NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title, to start his fifth reign.
1991 - Combat Toyoda defeats Megumi Kudo in Tosu, Japan to become the first two-time WWA World Women's Champion.
1992 - Jerry Lawler and Jeff Jarrett defeat The Moondogs (Cujo and Spot) in Memphis, Tennessee to win the USWA Tag Team Title. This began Lawler and Jarrett's fourth reign and ended the Moondogs' second.
1995 - Vance Nevada defeats Todd Bullet in Winnipeg, Manitoba to win the Canadian Junior Heavyweight Title for the second time.
1996 - El Pantera defeats Naohiro Hoshikawa in Noshiro, Japan for the vacant WWA World Middleweight Title. The Great Sasuke had vacated it due to a skull injury.
1997 - ECW held its fourth-annual "Hardcore Heaven" event at the War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This was the first edition of the show to be on pay-per-view, and got an 0.21 buyrate. The results:
- ECW World Television Champion Taz defeated Chris Candido (with Rick Rude) by submission with the Tazmission to retain the title.
- Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Spike Dudley after a Bigelowsault.
- Rob Van Dam (with Bill Alfonso) pinned Al Snow in a Monday Night Rules match after the Van Daminator.
- The Dudley Boyz (Buh-Buh Ray and D-Von (with Big Dick Dudley, Sign Guy Dudley, Joel Gertner and Jenna Jameson)) defeated ECW World Tag Team Champions The Gangstas (New Jack and Mustapha Saed) by forfeit to win the title, ending The Gangstas' second reign and beginning the Dudleys' third. Mustapha had left ECW.
- The Dudley Boyz defeated PG-13 (J.C. Ice and Wolfie D), when Buh-Buh Ray pinned Wolfie D after the 3D, to retain the title.
- Tommy Dreamer (with Beulah McGillicutty) pinned Jerry Lawler after the Dreamer DDT. Jake Roberts, Rick Rude and Tammy Lynn Sytch all interfered during the match.
- Shane Douglas (with Francine) defeated Terry Funk and ECW World Heavyweight Champion Sabu (with Bill Alfonso) and in a Three-Way Dance to win the title. Douglas and Funk both pinned Sabu after The Sandman attacked Sabu with a ladder, and Douglas pinned Funk with a roll-up. This ended Sabu's second reign and began Douglas' third.
1997 - Trailer Park Trash becomes the first OVW Heavyweight Champion.
1997 - Tomoko Miyaguchi defeats Tomoko Kuzuki for the JWP Junior Title in Tokyo, Japan.
1998 - WCW beat the WWF in this week of the Monday Night War, as "Monday Nitro"'s 4.91 rating (hours of 5.01, 5.03 and 4.7) bested "RAW is WAR"'s 4.19 rating (hours of 3.93 and 4.44).
"WWF RAW is WAR" episode number 273 was taped August 11 at the Civic Center in Des Moines, Iowa. The results were:
- Dan Severn defeated Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock in a Triple Threat match, by making Shamrock pass out while in a Dragon sleeper.
- Bart Gunn defeated The Godfather in a Brawl for All Tournament semifinal bout, by knockout in the third round.
- Gangrel pinned Brian Christopher (with Scott Taylor) after an implant DDT.
- The Disciples of Apocalypse (8-Ball and Skull (with Paul Ellering)) defeated Faarooq and Scorpio.
- The Nation (D-Lo Brown, The Godfather, Mark Henry and The Rock) defeated D-Generation X (Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, Triple H and X-Pac (with Chyna)) in a Street Fight.
- Bradshaw defeated Droz in a Brawl for All Tournament semifinal bout, 15 to 5 on points.
- Kaientai (Funaki, Taka Michinoku, Teioh and Togo) defeated Val Venis in a Gauntlet match. Val pinned Teioh with a fisherman's suplex, Val pinned Funaki after a powerslam, Val pinned Togo with the Money Shot, and Taka pinned Val after the Michinoku Driver.
"WCW Monday Nitro"'s 153rd show was live from the Civic Center in Hartford, Connecticut. The results:
- Steve McMichael pinned Sick Boy (with Lodi) after a Tombstone piledriver.
- Disco Inferno and Alex Wright fought High Voltage (Kaos and Rage) to a no-contest, when Meng interfered.
- Raven and Saturn defeated Horace and Kanyon when Saturn pinned Raven after a Spicolli driver.
- Scott Norton (with Vincent) pinned Scott Putski after a powerbomb.
- Curt Hennig (with Rick Rude) pinned Dean Malenko with the Hennigplex.
- WCW World Television Champion Chris Jericho defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. and Stevie Ray in a Triangle match, by double knockout, to retain the title. The Giant interfered and chokeslammed Stevie Ray, and Chavo staggered out of the ring.
- WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Bret Hart defeated Diamond Dallas Page by disqualification, after the referee found brass knuckles in Page's tights, to retain the title.
- WCW World Heavyweight Champion Goldberg defeated The Giant (with The Disciple) by disqualification, after Disciple interfered, to retain the title.
1999 - OVW held an event at the Louisville Gardens in Louisville, Kentucky. The results were:
- The American Eagle and Juan Hurtado defeated Guido and Vito Andretti, when Hurtago pinned Guido.
- Sean Casey defeated OVW Light Heavyweight Champion Johnny Spade to win the title, ending Spade's third reign.
- Bull Buchanan defeated Jebediah.
- Rico Constantino defeated Flash Flanagan by disqualification.
- Nick Dinsmore defeated Chris Candido.
- OVW Southern Tag Team Champions Jason Lee and Rip Rogers defeated The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton) by disqualification to retain the title.
- Rob Conway defeated OVW Heavyweight Champion The Damaja to win the title. This began Conway's second reign.
2001 - Hotstuff Hernandez wins his third NWA Texas Heavyweight Title, by ending Kevin Northcutt's fourth reign in North Richland Hills, Texas. At the same show, John Allen defeats Jimbo Starr for the NWA Southwest Television Title.
2001 - Momoe Nakanishi defeats Kumiko Maekawa to win the AJW Japan Grand Prix tournament.
2002 - The WWF Hardcore Title changes hands three times at a house show in Terre Haute, Indiana. Raven wins the title from Tommy Dreamer, beginning his 27th and final reign. He then lost the title to Shawn Stasiak, beginning his 14th reign. Finally, Stasiak lost the title back to Dreamer, beginning his 12th reign.
2002 - Jimmy Rave defeats Star in Columbia, Tennessee for the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Title, beginning his second reign.
2002 - Agente Bruno wins his fourth IWA World Hardcore Title, ending Hurac√°n Castillo's seventh reign in Isabela, Puerto Rico. Castillo won the title right back, beginning his eighth reign.
2002 - TNT (Todd Sexton and Tony Stradlin) defeat The Briscoes (Jay and Mark) for the NWA Wildside Tag Team Title in Cornelia, Georgia.
2002 - Martin Nolte wins a 20-man battle royal at "True Colors" in Essen, Germany for the vacant Westside Xtreme Wrestling World Heavyweight Title.
2002 - USA Pro Wrestling held a huge 13-match event at the Community Center in Deer Park, New York. The results were:
- The Masked Maniac defeated Iceberg.
- Larry McKenny and Storman Norman defeated USA Pro Tag Team Champions Low Ki and Xavier to win the title.
- USA Pro Tag Team Champions Larry McKenny & Storman Norman defeated Da Hit Squad (Mafia & Monsta Mack), Divine Storm (Chris Divine & Quiet Storm) and The S.A.T. (Jo√©l and Jos√© Maximo) in a four-way match to retain the title.
- Mike Tobin defeated Tim Arson, Danny Demanto, Grim Reefer, Tom Marquez and Tyler Payne in a six-way Elimination match.
- The Wall defeated Chris Chetti.
- Wayne defeated Crazy Ivan.
- The Dead Presidents (Boogalou & Low Ryda) defeated The Anabolic Warrio & Ken Sweeney, Azrieal & Damian Dragon, Joey Braggiol & Ken Scampi, J-Silva & Brock Vendetta and The Rednecks From Hell in a Gauntlet match.
- Chris Candido defeated Steve Corino.
- Dr. Zero defeated Josh Deeley, The New Dynamite Kid, Rockshah the Pimp, Dickie Rodz and The Trekkie in a six-way Elimination match to win the USA Pro Ticket Sellers Title.
- Mike Kruel defeated Norman Smiley.
- Low Ki defeated Crowbar.
- Xavier defeated USA Pro United States Champion The Amazing Red, Brian XL and Kid Kash in a four-way match to become the first USA Pro Xtreme Champion.
- Bam Bam Bigelow defeated USA Pro Heavyweight Champion Balls Mahoney to win the title, ending Mahoney's third reign.
2002 - Kamikaze and Tenacious Z (Zach Gowen) defeated Truth Martini and Anthony Rivera in Sterling Heights, Michigan at "Bar Room Brawl" to win the Independent Wrestling Revolution Tag Team Title.
2002 - The Premiere Players (Dash Bennett and Daron Smythe) defeat Dirk Ciglar and Brandon K in Triadelphia, West Virginia for their third NWA Pro Wrestling eXpress Tag Team Title. Also at that event, Sean Stylez ends Nikita Allanov's day-long NWA/PWX Brass Knuckles Title reign.
2003 - Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeats Jun Akiyama by submission in Tokyo, Japan to win the NJPW G1 Climax tournament.
2004 - Tack wins his second HWA Television Title from Rory Fox in Cincinnati, Ohio. At the same show, Crazy J and Lotus begin their second HWA Tag Team Title reign by defeating Benjamin Kimera and Shawn Osbourne.
2006 - The UFC held its sixth edition of "Fight Night", live from the Red Rock Resort Spa and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show got a 1.47 rating on Spike TV. The results:
- In a welterweight bout, Anthony Torres defeated Pat Healy by submission (rear naked choke) at 2:37 of round one.
- In a welterweight bout, Forrest Petz defeated Sammy Morgan by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-23 and 30-27).
- In a heavyweight bout, Jake O'Brien defeated Christophe Midoux by TKO (strikes) at 0:52 of round two.
- In a welterweight bout, Joe Riggs defeated Jason Von Flue by submission (triangle choke) at 2:01 of round one. This bout was televised later on.
- In a middleweight bout, Martin Kampmann defeated Crafton Wallace by submission (rear naked choke) at 2:59 of round one.
- In a welterweight bout, Josh Koscheck defeated Jonathan Goulet by submission (strikes) in 4:02 of round one.
- In a middleweight bout, Dean Lister defeated Yuki Sasaki by unanimous decision (all three judges scored it 30-27).
- In a middleweight bout, Chris Leben defeated Jorge Santiago by knockout at 0:35 of round two.
- In a welterweight bout, Diego Sanchez defeated Karo Parisyan by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28 and 30-26).
2007 - El Dandy and Rey Misterio, Sr. defeat The Punisher and Super Parka to win the vacant WWA World Tag Team Title in Tijuana, Mexico.
2007 - OVW held an event at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Kentucky, during the Kentucky State Fair. The results were:
- Terminal Velocity (Chet the Jett and Steve Lewington) defeated The Daltons (Jesse and Festus).
- Vladimir Kozlov defeated Chris Cage.
- Katie Lea and Josie defeated Serena Deeb and OVW Women's Champion ODB.
- K.C. James defeated OVW Southern Tag Team Champion T.J. Dalton.
- OVW Television Champion Shawn Spears defeated Colt Cabana to retain the title.
- OVW Heavyweight Champion Mike Kruel defeated Eugene to retain the title.
2007 - FIP held "Heatstroke: Night One" at the National Guard Armory in Crystal River, Florida. The results were:
- Steve Madison defeated Danny Daniels (with SoCal Val).
- Seth Delay defeated Austin Amadeus.
- Trik Davis defeated Scott Commodity.
- FIP Florida Heritage Champion Erick Stevens defeated Davey Richards to retain the title.
- Delirious defeated Necro Butcher (with Dave Prazak) in a No Disqualification match.
- FIP Tag Team Champions The Briscoes (Jay and Mark) (c) defeated The Irish Airborne (Dave and Jake Crist) to retain the title.
- FIP World Heavyweight Champion Roderick Strong defeated Tyler Black to retain the title.
- The YRR (Jason Blade, Kenny King, Chasyn Rance and Sal Rinauro (with Becky Bayless and SoCal Val)) defeated Black Market (Joey Machete and Shawn Murphy) and The Heartbreak Express (Phil and Sean Davis) in a Bunkhouse Brawl.
2007 - CHIKARA held "Here Come The International Invaders: 1st Stage - 'Attack Of The Phantom Sith'" at the Riverside Beneficial Association Building in Reading, Pennsylvania. The results:
- Shane Storm defeated Rahim Ali.
- Tim Donst defeated Alex Payne.
- USApe defeated Moscow the Communist Bovine.
- Shayne Hawke defeated Jigsaw.
- Brodie Lee and The Olsen Twins (Colin and Jimmy) defeated The Colony (Fire Ant, Soldier Ant and Worker Ant).
- Akira Raijin defeated Claudio Castagnoli by disqualification.
- Ricochet defeated Pac.
- Eddie Kingston defeated Brute Issei.
- Lince Dorado, Equinox and Las Chivas Rayadas (I and II) defeated The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero, Mitch Ryder, Larry Sweeney and CHIKARA Young Lions Cup Champion Chuck Taylor).
- CHIKARA Campeones de Parejas Team FIST (Gran Akuma and Icarus) defeated Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream and Ice Cream, Jr.) in a Best-of-Three Falls match, 2-1, to retain the title.
2007 - G defeats Nikko Brixton, Hubert, Matt Naylor, Dan Ryder and Danny Stevens in a six-way Chaos match to become the first Power Trip Wrestling Cruiserweight Champion in Luton, England.